Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gasland commentary from a small house/living small maven

Recently I watched, for the second time, "There Will Be Blood." Great film providing a chilling look at greed. Next on my list is Gasland. Small living maven Michael Janzen gave me permission to repost some of his recent cogent comments in reference to the film:

"...the family farm' in northern California, where I'm building my Tiny Free House, is surrounded by new
gas wells now. They just begun fracking up there so the water wells seem fine still. But they 're-frack' gas wells multiple times so the toxins they'll be pouring into the ground could eventually become a major problem.

My larger fear is that this Haliburton process, fracking, may eventually contaminate the Sacramento river which runs right past the farms in the area. If that were to happen thousands of acres of farm land will be toast. .... My mother inlaw says they dump the toxic stuff in waste wells nearby... wells that produced no gas....

If you read my blogs you know I'm an incredibly level-headed person...[but] Major environmental damage is being made to our ground water to squeeze huge profits in natural gas out of the ground. It must be stopped.

As far as our dependence on fossil fuels... yeah we are in some serious trouble. Foreign or domestic we must kick the habit or it's going to kick us to the curb.

Watch the movie, make up your own mind. I have and I will never buy land or move to an area with fossil fuel reserves. I don't want my family anywhere near these greedy bastards.

...Switching from one fossil fuel to another just prolongs the inevitable (the need to switch to renewables) and pollutes the world we live in while we're avoiding dealing with our addiction. I'm voting for getting off gradually now instead of going cold turkey sooner than later.